Saturday, May 21, 2011

Big Steps

Well, big steps may be pushing it a little bit, but I'm taking bigger steps than I was 4 days ago.  I'm not a complete geriatric now-I think I've stepped up my speed just a little bit.  I can walk almost standing straight up but it feels good to put my hands on my hips to remind myself to straighten out.  I can go up and down the stairs more than once a day (for the past 2 days), and I can get out of bed a lot easier with less pain.  The most important thing is that I can hold Emma and feed her a bottle!  I still need to hold her sitting down, but I'm working on standing up and attempting the stairs with her tomorrow so I can be even more independent with her.

This week I'm not going to have someone with me the entire time that Dan is at work.  I'm going to be by myself for a few hours in the morning before having help.  I'm hoping I'm not pushing myself too much, but we'll just hang out in bed and have breakfast and watch movies (or maybe take a nap).  I miss having my freedom.  I'm not someone who can sit around and do nothing.  I need to be on the move when I want, and the past 2 weeks haven't allowed for that.  This may be the start to my independence.

I'm going a little stir-crazy since I can't drive because of the surgery and the narcotics.  I'm desperate to leave the house to do something, anything.  I'm not even drinking coffee and I made Dan drive me to Hannaford in Milton, only 3 miles from our house, to get coffee creamer.  I really needed to get a creemee tonight so I got to leave the house for over an hour.  I was sitting in the car the whole time, but it wasn't in our house on one of our couches.  I sat outside for two hours today in the sun feeding Emma and watching people drive by our house.  If anyone wants to come visit and distract me during the day, even for 15 minutes, it would be greatly appreciated.  No appointments are needed.

We're going to try and have our family photos done this week or next week so we can finally send out birth announcements, thank-you cards, and photos to all of our friends and family who have so generously given to Emma and our family.  My attempts have proven that I'm not as good of a photographer as I thought I was.  I have friends who have had newborn pictures taken that have come out amazing, so we want to have Emma's pictures taken while she's still tiny.  She is growing since she's turned into a little piggy with her eating.  She has gained so much weight and she changes every day, but the funny thing is that she still only weighs 8 lbs., which is what some newborn babies weigh. Her arms and legs are getting a little meat on them, and she officially has a double chin now.  She looks like a real baby and not a little doll.

Dan starts softball tomorrow, which is exciting for him since he loves to play. It will be good for him to get out of the house and focus on something other than the past two weeks. I'm a little sad that I'm not playing since I played last year and had so much fun.  There are a variety of reasons that I won't be playing this year, but I'll be on the sidelines cheering and maybe even keeping score once-in-a-while.

I'm going to give another shout-out to all of my family who have been so supportive over the past two weeks with everything.  I especially want to let everyone know just how amazing my husband is.  He has somehow managed to take care of Emma, the house, and me while being sleep-deprived and going to work.  Dan is the best and I am so lucky to have him!

No comments: