Thursday, January 20, 2011

27 weeks-Can I really make it 13 more?!




Well it seems like the shock has worn off of having a child and the reality of my body falling apart has set it.  What the hell have I gotten myself into?!  I know, it's all worth it in the end, but back spasms and pinched nerve, muscles stretching and ripping, and no sleeping is making me a very unpleasant person.  I'm trying to be polite, calm, and pleasant, but lately everything is annoying me and I have no patience for anything!  I know it's because I get 3 hours of interrupted sleep a night at best...can I make it to the end of April?


I'm having what I thought were intense stomach cramps, and then I thought they were contractions (OB says they're not), but they're all the time and even wake me up in the middle of the night.  They are the most painful thing I have experienced, so I have an appointment with my gastroenterologist on Monday.  I'm convinced my stomach has exploded, my bowels are tied in a knot, or that I have a hernia.  I had to laugh a little after I cried when I called his office to request an emergency appointment, and they offered  me MARCH 19th....two months from now. Luckily they found something sooner.  I'm hoping that I feel ok to "party" this weekend since my 31st (yikes!) birthday is on Saturday.


As previously mentioned, Dan and I started our birthing class last week.  Monday nights from 6-8 we head into Burlington for our special class.  It may come as a shock to some of you, but the biggest realization that we/I had is that we don't know what helps me relax.  We had to make a list of everything we could think of, and my list was mostly blank and Dan's list was jokes since he knows I don't ever relax.  Our homework is to think of comfort items and music etc. that will help me relax during labor.  How am I supposed to predict what will soothe me in a situation I have never been in?  I have a feeling the list is not going to get much bigger or be very helpful.  I've already told Dan he is not allowed to take anything to heart during that time in the hospital.  Am I complaining enough yet?


As for the baby, the little one seems happy as can be.  Lots of intensified kicking and movement during the day, and thankfully not too much at night.  I'm sure he/she will be a 3 AM person though because that seems to be my wake up time every morning.  This week the baby weighs almost 2 lbs., which is the size of a head of cauliflower, and it's 14.5 inches long from head to toe. 


Baby O's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing his/her eyes, and perhaps even sucking their fingers.  With more brain tissue developing, baby's brain is very active now.  While the lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning-with lots of medical help-if the baby were to be born now.  Apparently hiccups are pretty common right about now, but I haven't felt any that I know of yet.

No comments: