Thursday, January 13, 2011

26 Weeks, Under 100 Days!


Today marks 26 weeks down, 14 (98 days) to go.  This week the baby is 1 2/3 lbs., and over 14 inches long from head to toe.  That's the size of an English cucumber!  The baby is starting to pack on fat this week, which means I probably will as well.  It's funny how when I look at pictures of myself with my shirt down, I see a difference, but when my shirt is lifted up, I don't see a difference in size.  

Our baby is now opening and closing it's eyes, and it reacts to light by moving around and becoming more active, since the brain is much more developed.  Baby's breathing is coming along now as it practices inhaling and exhaling amniotic fluid.  It's getting ready for the big moment when the first breath is taken.  Apparently the baby will be turning into the Karate Kid this week practicing all kinds of new moves.  I was told this will start off the 26-week insomnia.  

Ha!  I have had insomnia the entire time and it's just getting worse.  So I guess that means I won't be sleeping any better anytime soon :(  This in turn has caused a severe case of "pregnancy brain."  I am forgetting what I was talking about, what I was about to do, or names of people or things that are part of my everyday life.  I thought it was a joke when I heard people talk about it, but I feel like a stoned zombie.

We started researching day care last week.  What a challenge that is!  It's so expensive, what kind of a place do you trust, will we ever get off the waiting list, can we physically drive out of our way in the morning and evening to the place that's the right fit?  Hopefully we have our first visit to a center tomorrow.  Wouldn't it be nice if I could get paid to stay at home, or if someone would watch our child for free every day?


On a side note, we now have proof that our kitties don't hate each other all the time.  This rare photo op caught them snuggling in the middle of the day on my dresser, the much sought-after napping spot in the house.  Speaking of these kitties, does anyone have an pointers or tips on preparing cats for the arrival of a baby, or when the baby comes home?  Our vet did not have any information to share.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

When I was in the hospital still G brought home a receiving blanket that smelled like baby and laid it on the bed. She liked to smell it and was very interested in Q when I was sitting on the bed with him but ran away the minute he screamed.

She stayed away from him for about a year and now Loves him and sleeps in his room. She was desensitized by the time W came. He yells right in her face and she takes it.

Anonymous said...

hello,

Vermont has a Consumer Concern depart for child care programs. You can call on a program you might like and see if they have any violations and what the violations are. I can look up the number for you if you'd like! Child Care Resource in Williston keeps a list of openings by town and type of care. The district might have a contract for services as there is a fee. I also recommend a program accredited by NAEYC or NAFCC. It is a tough decision. What town do you live in? Jennifer K has lots of contacts as do I so we could give you a thumbs down on some and save you the search.

Shelley

Unknown said...

The New England regional director for NAFCC live in Milton. I will get her info to you. I don,t know the name of her center.

Grandma (in @100 days)